Friday, May 11, 2007

"You look like you're about to POP!"

"You look like you're about to POP!" "When are you due?" "You're as big as a house!" "How many more weeks?" "You look tired" and other frank and sometimes rude statements have been made. Everyone from the custodian who cleans my classroom and my students to family members. We have five more weeks and yes, I am pregnant, carrying a five pound baby and all the equipment that she requires. I wish instead, someone would tell me how great I look (other than Rob, he's been very good about appreciating my growing body and although he teases me about my belly button, it's with affection). I do not waddle nor do I complain to everyone who will listen that I am tired of being pregnant. I have enjoyed my pregnancy and knowing there is a beautiful baby girl getting ready to meet us. So please, if you know an expectant mother take a moment and tell her how wonderful she looks - she'll appreciate it.

To my second topic, since I hardly ever blog... my mother, God bless her, offered to give us a "Shower in a Box" - an opportunity for friends and relatives who could not be at one of our many flattering baby showers to send us gifts and well wishes. She and I discussed who should be included, my aunt and cousins in Iowa, a couple friends I still keep in touch with from high school and college, and church members I grew up with. Last week, SIX large boxes of gifts arrived. Many of the people Rob had never met, the principal of the school where my mother works, my mother's PEO sister who was my high school guidance counselor, and members of the church who joined after I left for college. As I tried to explain to Rob who some of these people were, there were also names I did not even recognize as someone my mother had ever mentioned to me, much less met me or Rob. We both felt very awkward as we sat in our house, all alone, opening gifts from strangers. The Thank You notes will be interesting to write.

I'll finish by talking about Mother's Day. It was last year at this time when the grocery store cashier wished me a Happy Mother's Day and I had that terrible sinking feeling. Although I was polite and thanked him, I couldn't let it go. Rob and I had started talking about fertility treatments and had decided to try again. This year I have no fear of Mother's Day greetings (Rob even got me a gift) and Abby may even be here in time to celebrate Father's Day!

2 comments:

An Apprentice SWE said...

It was great to hear your voice and not just Robert's! I am very excited for you. And I know what you mean about that "horrible sinking feeling." I get it when the pastor in church makes funny comments from the pulpit like "come expecting!" Your story gives other people like me hope and I'm glad you've been willing to share.

And for what it's worth, I think pregnancy makes women beautiful!

Sarahlynn said...

Lovely post!

And AMEN on the "you look lovely" bit. I really really really appreciated that while I was pregnant . . . and afterward!