Monday, May 07, 2007

Baby Class: Bonus Classes!

This weekend we got TWO bonus baby (oriented) classes!

Saturday we toured the RIGHT hospital, but could not see any of the L&D or postpartum rooms because they were either in use or not cleaned from the prior use. We did get to see the nursery and hear about some of the procedures specific to our hospital. They told us that we should call mid-week and have a tour with one of the nurses to see the rooms. I don't think we'll be doing this.

Major downside that they reminded us of: it's a vegetarian hospital! I have had surgery there before and been subject to the "sloppy joe" that they serve, but every time that I leave, I forget. They will do meat meals for patients that require it, but you can't buy any meat from the cafeteria, which is where I will get my food from. Definately not planning on any "chicken tenders" or anything like that. I think I'll bring my own pizza or something....

Don't get me wrong, I respect the fact that we have chosen to use a faith-based hospital system and that part of their belief structure is being vegetarian. I'm just gonne have a sour face every time I remember that my "sausage" is not from a pig!

The other class was on Breastfeeding. Neither of us got much from it, as it was mostly taught and not conversational. I did see more nipples than I ever needed to, and have no desire to see boobs for a long while. (It will pass, I'm sure. I'm still a guy!)

The grossest part was that the teacher circulated a page with different types of poo on it. IN COLOR! I won't describe here, but if you have a strong stomach, you're welcome to visit HERE to see some examples. Yum. At least the pics on the linked site don't have baby-boys-bulging-boys.

That's all the baby classes I could handle for the weekend, so we're off until Thursday and our mock-labor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I was NOT ready for what I saw in that link! I'm pretty ok with bodily functions and biological necessities, but Dave really is not very eager about this part. I'll wait and let him discover this in our own birthing classes. Yikes!

Bullwinkle said...

Do I really need to comment? After my last blog entry?

You'll be fine :) Its a growth experience.

sbsterling said...

Not to scare you or anything... but those diapers are pretty empty. I'm thinking if Chase could limit herself to that, I wouldn't have to change her clothes twice a day.