Friday, April 27, 2007

Baby Class Number 3: Video and Tour

We both continue to think that the classes need to be updated in a serious way.

Last night we got to tour the maternity section of the hospital that we will not be delivering at. Kind of weird, but kind of cool at the same time! We got to see a baby that was about 20 minutes old. There were others in the nursery too. One re-new dad (his fourth) walked by and congratulated us all. Someone asked "which one is yours" and his response was the classic "I'm not sure.....they all look the same!"

We found out last night that about half of the couples in our class are not even delivering at this hospital. With so many around us, it's easy to take a class at one and deliver at another. (We have at least seven hospitals that are within a half hour drive from the house!)

We got to see a labor-room, complete with whirlpool. Someone asked how often women use the pool, and the nurse (teacher) said that it was rare. Some guy asked "if she (mom) is progressing nicely and there is some down time, can we as fathers' just take a quick dip?" What a jerk. Senseless and selfish.

Yes, it was me that asked the question. Only to get laughs, what a surprise!

Last night's other big feature was the birth video. Yum. There were two stories:

One woman went to a traditional hospital. She had an epidural. Her labor was good aside from that. She had her baby.

One woman went to a birthing center. She did not have an epidural. She got to demonstrate different positions of delivery because her baby just would not come out.

I was okay with watching both of these. I had mentally prepared myself for seeing all of it, I guess. What I could not deal with was the teachers description about the epidural. I don't know why I freaked out over hearing words more than over seeing video, but I did. Apparently I was still extra-pale (imagine Rob, but lighter!?! wow is that white!) from the dizziness.

I've had several surgeries in my life, and I think that is the difference. As she was describing getting the needle to the right spot, stopping, then starting the drug-flow I could vividly feel the biopsy needles that went into my back. I almost had to leave the room. I toughed it out.

That was an aside, I apologize. The videos are VERY old. The key giveaway: the guys glasses. The doctor and one of the husbands have the classic ~1976 black rimmed glasses. We were reminded several times that things in the videos have changed since they were made, like the epidural process. (they used to do doses, now have constant feed systems for better pain relief) If they are so out of date, MAKE NEW MOVIES!

We have a hospital tour of the hospital we will deliver at on May 5th. It will be fun to hear the differences between the two hospitals, since they are part of the same system!

Have a good weekend, and keep on voting about the Mother's Day gift. I sure could use a few more in the "no" column!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So are the husbands allowed in the whilpool?

paulboal said...

If Anny decides that she wants an epidural, she won't be caring about the technical details at that moment, and I'm betting that you won't either! On the upside, with #2, my contractions were so strong that I didn't even feel the epidural.

I'm confident that you'll both do great, however it turns out.

--Sarahlynn, too lazy to log Paul out and log in as myself