Friday, June 06, 2008

MAMAMAMAMAMAMA

She's actually saying "Mama" at Anny these days. Dadada has been around for a while, and sometimes she even refers to me in the same manner, but often it's just babble. That's cool!

Anny is especially happy at the current "mamama" use. For several weeks the only time that "mamama" was uttered was in a crying fit. It sounded much like:

crywahcrymamamamacrywahcrymama

It would seem that Anny took this to mean that Abby associated "mama" with crying, and only crying. Not just minor I-fell-and-bumped-my-bottom crying, but the outright my-teeth-are-coming-in cry or I'm-so-tired-that-I-can-not-sleep cry or the popular the-dog-bit-my-toes crying. (that has not happened, for the record, but sometimes it would seem that the biting was taking place!)

I guess I can see how that would be distressing if I was the parent being cried about. I have to admit that the first couple of times I heard it I laughed out loud. It's funny, right? Seems that it is not as funny as I thought it was.

Now she has moved away from the scream "mamama" and is using it as regular babble and aimed at Anny too, so all is peaceful.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I have a theory that the word "mama" means "woman who gave birth to me" because it is universally one of the first sounds that kids make. If all kids said "ukelele" first, then I think "ukelele" would mean "mother." I haven't asked a linguist, but everyone I've ever asked who speaks another language has said that "mama" means mother in their language.

My kids both said "mama" first, then switched to "dada" for several weeks, eschewing "mama" completely, and then finally started saying both. "Say 'mama'?" "Dada." "Can you say 'mama'??" "Dada." Repeat x 100000.

Cute.

Amy @ http://prettybabies.blogspot.com