Wednesday, August 15, 2007

2 month shots

I'll get to the trauma of vaccinations in a minute, but yesterday was Abby's two month check up. Although she is actually 9 weeks old? I have been wondering why we begin by counting weeks and then switch to counting months. It is kind of like being pregnant for 9 months, but really it is 40 weeks (which is 10 months)?

So about our visit... Abby has grown a full inch (22.5 inches long) and more than three pounds (12 pounds). This puts her a little on the chubby side, but a little baby fat is always OK especially when her only exercise is kicking the Baby Einstein to make music play.

The shots, on the other hand, were not so easy to live with.

Before giving her the vaccinations, the doctor handed me Infant's Tylenol and explained the dosage. Abby had the standard IPV, DTaP, Hib, Rotavirus, and Pnuemococcal; this equals one dose of oral medicine and FOUR shots (two in each thigh). She screamed for the shots, of course, and after a little fussing went to sleep as Rob and I took the chance to get some supplies at Babies R Us. She slept through dinner until she got hungry and realized she needed a diaper change.

Unfortunately, I did not immediately give her a dose of Tylenol, but thought she would be OK. Not so much. She did not eat very well and began crying. Despite all our usual soothing techniques, Abby cried for nearly half an hour before she fell into an exhausted sleep. I gave her the Tylenol when she began crying, but I will know better next time and give her a dose before she realizes she's still sore.

Despite our feelings, Rob and I both know that Abby doesn't remember who was holding her during the shots. And even though I try, she does not understand our explanation of how vaccinations will keep her healthy in the future. We can only hope that this gets easier as she grows older; at least the vaccinations are less frequent.

Rob Here - I'm piggy backing on Anny's post to as you to take a moment to participate in a poll. It might mean the return of the weekly poll, but not necessarily.

So - the question - do you want us to post the story of Abby's birth day. We will spare the truly gross stuff, never fear me sharing that. It's burned into my head, no need for you to share in that part. We began a post about it over a month ago but have never sat down to finish it. If you're interested, we'll finish it. If you're not, we'll delete it. You all, my friends, are the deciderers.

No comments: