Friday, July 20, 2007

Travelling with an infant, Part 1

Overall, I would say that our first plane ride with Abby was a success; she was awake but not too fussy for most of the flight. However, we did learn a couple of lessons.

I should have known better being a science teacher, but we packed pre-mixed formula in the diaper bag believing it would be easier than trying to pour powder in an airport or on the plane. What I had not accounted for was the fact that we use Playtex drop-ins, not solid bottles and so when the cabin pressure was less than the pressure inside the bottle we ended up with formula all over (luckily I had packed them in ziploc bags and so the diaper bag was not completely soaked, just a few damp spots).

The second lesson we learned was "how to change a poopy diaper on a plane." I had read that you could put a changing pad across the tiny bathroom sink, but as Rob approached the lavatory carrying smelling baby and diaper changing necessities, the flight attendant explained it would be much easier to sit on the floor in front of the main door. So with a small audience, our hero daddy, changed a very poopy diaper on an airplane.

I'm sure we will learn more as the weekend progresses.

2 comments:

sbsterling said...

both lessons noted!

Heather O. said...

We will be traveling with our baby girl next week--wish me luck!

And I don't think I ever gave you a congrats on such a beautiful and healthy little girl. Congrats!