Friday, May 01, 2009

200th Post!

This is the 200th post on Abby's blog! She's grown a lot (since we started when Anny was only a few weeks pregnant!)

I start this post by saying: Abby is okay.

That being said - today was an exciting day as Abby had her first visit to the Emergency Room.  She has a sprained left leg (knee).

I got a call at 11:30 saying that she had jumped funny in their Activity Room from a play structure.  I can't describe it, but it's normally a very safe activity and they play on it regularly.  She hit the floor with her foot in an awkward position, got up and walked away.  About a minute later she refuse to put any weight on it.

We decided to go ahead and let her have lunch to see if it would go away, assuming she had just twister her ankle a little bit and it would not last long at all.  I got a call again when lunch was done that she would still not put any weight on her left leg.  I left work and tried to get Anny on the phone.  One we connected we decided that the best route would be the ER.  Better safe than sorry.

I got to school and Abby would not budge from Ms Denyse's lap.  We tried to get her to walk to me, and she would not have any of it.  (Amusing side note: she wet through her diaper and they had to change her clothes.  The only thing they had was a one piece PJ set without feet.  From the fall.  It was hillarious and I will load a picture of it soon!)  I got her stuff together, grabbed a snack for her and we headed up to Howard General.

She went to sleep.

I managed to keep her asleep in the stroller for quite a while longer, until the doctor needed to see her put weight on it.  He gave it a once over and said it was probably a knee issue more than her foot or ankle.  Then he called for an X-Ray.  Yeah, that was the most miserable thing I've ever experienced with Abby.  She was being held down by me AND a technician and it still took a long time to get her leg and foot into position.  Five times.  Not fun.

After reviewing the X-Ray the doctor confirmed that her left leg is sprained.  Our orders are as follows:
  • limit activity (she's 22 months old!  Really?  Limit her?  Wow.)
  • Use child strenght Motrin for discomfort
  • Keep her off of the playground for five days
  • If there is no improvement by Tuesday, call Dr Tang, an orthopedist.
There you have - we're home and she's happily having her afternoon snack.  She still will not walk, but she has put a little more weight on it a couple of times.  Should be an interesting weekend!

3 comments:

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

So sorry that you had to have this excitement today. Kids and x-rays are never fun. Glad that it was nothing more serious and hopefully a quiet weekend and some down time will help it. I have to say I am jealous that you just had your first ER visit. Both boys had theirs long before they were one thanks to the febrile seizures.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like she's doing a good job of taking it easy. Hopefully, she'll be on the mend soon!

Sarahlynn said...

1) SO glad that Abby is OK now!

2) "Then he called for an X-Ray. Yeah, that was the most miserable thing I've ever experienced with Abby."

This is where it's helpful to be the mommy. They never let me in the room when Ellie's having an x-ray, since I'm a woman of childbearing age and *might* be pregnant. The first time this happened, Ellie was 4 weeks old. I was still . . . unrecovered from the birth experience and assured the technician that I was most definitely NOT pregnant. But they refused to take my word for it. So at least I didn't have to hold her down. (Paul has done that, as has Nana, and apparently it's not fun. I like our Children's Hospital best, because the doors are thick enough that I can't even hear her cry.)

(I have done the holding down thing several times at the ENT, and it's TERRIBLE. You have my full sympathies.)