Sunday, January 13, 2008

Raw Behind

Had to schedule an extra pediatrician appointment for Abby on Friday because of a bad rash on her behind. When we talked to the day care folks they were unsure if it was just a rash or a yeast infection. (by the way, want to mess up a guy, use the term "yeast infection.") Thankfully it was not that bad.

Turns out that she just has a very bad diaper rash. Probably has something to do with the new food that we had been feeding her, but there is no way to be sure. We got a perscription for a better diaper cream, and it has helped tremendously already.

We have also been told to not wipe her backside until things have cleared up. When she needs to be clean, we need to run her under water - it keeps the rash from being irritated more. (I could give more details about how we're doing that, but will not!)

Oh yeah, and we've moved to a different food - applesauce. Nothing in the world less harsh than applesauce!

She did get weighed and is at 19 pounds.

As an update, she is not yet crawling, but gets a little closer everyday. Her favorite game is to empty her toy basket one toy at a time, so I think motivation of the toy basket being out of reach will start being used this week. Yes, I realize that I must be crazy to want her to be mobile! Remember, though, that I'm the one that wants her to start talking!

We think she is beginning to understand some sign language (milk) because she sure get's excited. Honestly, though, I can't tell if it's our saying "milk?" or the sign. I'm interested about the whole process of learning signing though!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Glad she's already feeling better.

Sarahlynn said...

We just got home from Ada's one year check-up. She's 29-1/4 inches long (60th%) and weighed in at a 19 pounds, 13 ounces (30th%). I nursed her, and got her to be a hair over the magical 20 pound mark. I can turn her around in the car seat!

I think this is probably mostly because Ada's one and a busy, crawling, exploring baby. But, also, I'm sure I produce a lot less milk than a bottle. It makes me feel a little insufficient, but at least she's happy, apparently healthy, and developing well. She just looks like a shrimp next to her super cute cousin. I can't wait to get the girls together again!

Anonymous said...

When my son was younger his babysitter used to feed him organic foods (her family was into that). Althought there is nothing wrong with organic foods, sometimes they can wreak havoc on a digestive system that is not used to it. She used to feed him tomatoes from her garden, and organic tomatoes are more acidic than any store bought tomato. As a result, my son had a rash that lasted weeks, until we asked her to cease feeding him organic foods. This was also verified by the pediatrician.

Regarding the applesauce, don't overdo it either. Apple Juice and Applesauce are diuretics. My poor daugther had a severe case of diarrhea because we allowed her to drink too much apple juice. We had to start thinning out her juice with lots of water.

Not trying to be pushy,.... just some things to think about/keep in mind for future reference.

Regards.